February 10, 2011

Best New York style cheesecake recipe

There are other recipes that claim to be the best cheesecake recipes on the planet. Obviously, the people who say that are liars and should be shunned in polite company. In any event, here's a recipe that makes a high-rising, beautiful cheesecake which will not have any cracks marring its surface. Enjoy.



1 sleeve of graham crackers (I used cinnamon flavored, but any flavor should be fine)

6 tbsp of butter, melted

2 tbsp sugar

2-1/2 lbs. (5 packages) of cream cheese, softened to room temperature

1/8 tsp. salt

1-1/2 cups sugar

2 teaspoons of real vanilla extract (I used Mexican vanilla, but anything that’s not fake will be fine)

2 teaspoon of lemon juice (fresh or bottled)

1/3 cup sour cream

6 eggs

2 egg yolks



Lightly grease nine inch springform pan (preferably non-stick) or line the bottom with foil.

 Preheat oven to 350 degrees

 Finely crush sleeve of graham crackers (rolling pin, food processor, whatever)

 Mix graham cracker crumbs with sugar and 5-1/2 tbsp of the butter with a fork until crumbly (reserve the remaining butter for brushing the springform pan)

 Press the crumbs into the bottom of the  prepared pan and bake for 13 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool while you prepare the filling.

 Brush the sides of the springform pan with remaining melted butter generously after the crust has cooled.

 Turn oven up to 500 degrees.

 In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese for about 2 minutes, to get out most of the big lumps, with the salt. Add the sugar in thirds, beating after each addition; scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Beat for about one minutes for each addition.

 Add the sour cream, lemon juice and vanilla. Mix well.

 Add the eggs two at a time, beating well after each addition, including the two extra yolks.

 Pour into cooled crust and place springform pan on a lipped baking sheet in case there is spillover.

 Bake at 500 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 200 degrees.




Bake 90 minutes.

 Remove from oven and cool for five minutes on wire rack.

 Run knife gently around the outer edge of the cheesecake. This detaches it from the sides of the pan and helps prevent cracking as the cheesecake cools.

 Allow to cool for 3 hours at room temperature.

 Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

 Best served within 30 minutes after it comes out of the refrigerator.

Posted by Physics Geek at 08:11 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

A lesson in economics

You've heard the phrase your entire life: tax cuts for the rich. What exactly do people mean when they say that "the majority of the tax cuts go to the wealthy"? And assuming that the wealthy do receive the majority of the tax cuts, how is it that the rich's share of the tax burden increased over the last forty or so years? Allow me to illustrate:

Suppose that there are two people, person A and person B. Person A earns $100,000 each year (evil rich person- cue ominous sounding music), whicl person B brings home a salary of $10,000. When this story starts, the tax rate for both wage earners is 10%. This isn't a real world example of course, as the 100k earner would be paying a much higher rate, but let's keep it simple.

Anyway, A pays $10,000 per year in taxes while B pays $1,000 per year. Person A's share of the total tax burden? 91%. Person B, on the other hand, pays 9% of the taxes in this two person economy.

Now the politicians decide to cut taxes for everyone. Person A gets a 5% cut in his tax rate while Person B gets a 50% cut. B's tax rate is now 5% of his income, while A's rate is now 9.5%. B pays $500 per year, A pays $9,500 per year and the total tax revenue is now $10,000, instead of the previous $11,000.

Let's look at what happened each person's share of the total tax burden. A's $500 is now %5 of the total tax burden, while B, who is paying less taxes than he did the year before, is now paying 95%. A received a much smaller percentage cut than B, but now ends up paying a greater share of the taxes.

Okay, let's now state that evil rich person A isn't paying his fair share. Person B gets his taxes reduced to 0.5%, or $5 per year. Since it's an election year, person A also gets his tax rate reduced to 9%, or $9,000 per year. Person B received a 99% reduction in his taxes whiler Person A received only a 5.26% decrease in his taxes. However, Person A received a somewhat larger dollar tax cut, $500 versus $450 for Person B. Person A now pays 99.99% of the total tax burden in this two person society. Yet since A received a $500 per year tax cut versus $495 for B, this is considered unfair.

Let me be clear: if you can look at the example above and still claim that (a) the rich aren't paying their fair share and/or (b) tax cuts "unfairly" target the rich, you should be wearing a sign that says: "Welcome to Stupidville. Population: me."

Posted by Physics Geek at 08:04 AM | Comments (1) | TrackBack